Are The Rodents In Houston Something To Worry About?
January 15, 2023 - Rodents
Rodents present a concern once they are in your Houston home. After they become comfortable, it will take professional help to remove unwanted rodents from your home and property. To find experienced rodent pest control in Houston, you can depend on The Bug Stoppers to take action against pests.
Types Of Rodents That Commonly Invade Houston Homes
Rodents are mammals that thrive at night, foraging for food in dumpsters, sewers, and drainage pipes. Quick to adapt, these creatures excel at sniffing out new sources of food and shelter whenever the need arises.
Common types of rodents that reside in Houston are:
- Rats: Rats have destructive tendencies and can bring health risks onto your property. They infect food through contact with their droppings and can spread diseases, such as the hantavirus, through the air. They constantly chew through common materials and can cause fires from chewing on electrical wires. Common types of rats found in Houston include Norway rats and roof rats.
- Mice: Mice are smaller rodents than rats, but will cause the same problems. They are usually lighter in fur color than rats, but the differences tend to end there. Even tiny rodents can cause extreme damage. Houston is home to several kinds of mice, including deer mice and house mice.
Rodents in Houston are not only dangerous themselves, but they also carry parasites such as fleas, ticks, and mites that can invade your home and make you sick.
Can Rodents In Your House Make You Sick?
Interacting with these types of rodents can cause problems to your health. Due to the many diseases they carry and spread, some can have lasting effects. While we don’t want to overwhelm you with too much information, we want you to beware of problems that arise with a rodent infestation in your Houston home.
Common signs of problems include:
- Rodent droppings that contain the hantavirus infect the air and have also proven to exacerbate allergies and asthma in humans
- Coming into contact with contaminated surfaces and food
- Being bitten or scratched by a rodent or parasite
The best thing to do for your safety after coming into contact with a rodent is to monitor yourself for any symptoms and seek medical attention if necessary. The other best thing is to contact a reliable and affordable pest control company near you to remove rodents and the health risks they bring from your home for good.
Why Traps Won't Get Rid Of The Entire Rodent Infestation
Traps work well if you are only dealing with one rodent. However, you'll rarely, if ever, be dealing with one rodent. These pests can quickly multiply, and then traps become less effective. Once in a group, traps will soon become associated with danger, and rodents will learn to avoid them. Rodents also become adept at removing desired bait from traps without triggering them. Traps are also ineffective because rodents reproduce quickly. Once they have established quality nesting grounds, they begin a cycle of feeding and reproducing, and their breeding cycle will outpace what you can keep up with using a few traps.
The Trick To Stress-Free And Effective Rodent Control
Effective rodent control in Houston takes a lot of precautions. There are natural deterrents that can be purchased from the store or oil scents like peppermint and citronella. You can also take preventive measures to close up any holes or cracks in the foundation of your home and remove outdoor food sources to discourage sudden appearances. However, the best solution is to contact The Bug Stoppers to remove unwanted pests. We offer quality rodent control to homes and businesses across Houston, Texas. Contact us directly to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Houston, and to request an inspection and get the relief that comes from partnering with The Bug Stoppers.